The Museum of Childhood Project Ireland is a novel initiative designed to deliver a world-class facility exploring and engaging the spirit of childhood. The Museum will have as its principal objective the collecting, curating and exhibiting of historical artifacts. The primary aim is to create meaningful and lasting experiences for both children and adults to share.
Support our search for a permanent home by visiting our Piggy Bank shop in Dun Laoghaire, South County Dublin!
Internationally, the concept of a Museum of Childhood is not new; excellent examples exist across America, Asia and Europe.
The Museum of Childhood Project Ireland enables everyone to explore, play, learn from, and enjoy both man-made and natural aspects of the world. We aim to display an extensive collection of Irish cultural/historical artifacts, including toys, childhood equipment and costumes. We hope to gather the stories and experiences of children from their own, and other eras and environments. Permanent artifacts and displays will be supported by a programme of temporary exhibitions linked to events and interactive learning opportunities. We hope that both children and adults will engage with these, and make full use of the museum as an informal resource which inspires a journey of shared play and lifelong learning together.
Specifically, the Museum will:
- Tell the story of the day-to-day lives of children growing up in Ireland through a fascinating array of artefacts related to childhood both in Ireland and the wider world
- Stimulate and nourish the imagination of both children and adults by appealing to their sense of adventure and fun
- Foster innovation and creativity for all
- Create extraordinary family learning experiences through interactive and interdisciplinary engagement
- Offer research opportunities and an extensive outreach programme
- Contribute to the regional, national, cultural and tourism economy in a significant and distinctive way
Come have a look at our project in Dun Laoghaire and contact us to see how you can get involved to bring our permanent Museum to Ireland!
Phone: +353 (0)87 681 6760
Address: Piggybank (Our fundraising shop). 94 Lower George’s St. Dún Laoghaire, Dublin
Hours of Operation: 7 days a week